December 15, 2018/ bristoldental/ 0
Tooth decay damages the structure, enamel, and dentin layer of the teeth. Patients consult dentists on various ways on how to prevent tooth decay. Tooth decay begins when food composed of high amounts of carbohydrates and sugar lodge in between the teeth. When patients fail to brush and floss their teeth, bacteria in their mouth transform these leftovers into acids. Dr. Annie Thomas adds that these acids destroy the enamel of their teeth which results to cavities and tooth decay.
What patients do to prevent tooth decay?
There are various ways that patients do to prevent cavities and tooth decay from happening. Some dentists recommend doing these tips that prevent tooth decay.
- Brush your teeth every after meals and before going to bed. Use a toothpaste rich in fluoride.
- Always floss after brushing your teeth. This removes food particles lodged in between your teeth.
- Gargle and wash your mouth with a fluoride-rich mouthwash. This lessens plaque and bacteria buildup among your teeth.
- Consult your dentist about using fluorine supplements that help strengthen your teeth.
- Check and ask your dentist, like Dr. Annie Thomas, if you are eligible to use dental sealants to safeguard your teeth from cavities and tooth decay.
Can patients use sealant?
Fortunately, yes! Patients can use dental sealants to protect their teeth from tooth decay. Sealants consist of a protective coating that clings to the chewing surface of some teeth. Dentists apply sealants on the surface of molars and premolars which prevent tooth decay. Most dentists recommend using this on newly replaced teeth or deteriorating teeth due to cavities or decay. Patients with teeth difficult to clean use sealants.
Dr. Annie Thomas shares that patients both young and old can use sealants to protect their teeth. Risks reduce by 80% and lasts for a long time. Dental appointments take a short while since dentists easily see through teeth due to its transparency.
Various ways of preventing tooth decay emerged and patients need to choose the best one for them. It’s best to consult their dentist before choosing any of the methods above.