ORAL HYGIENE MISSISSAUGA
What is Oral Hygiene
Oral hygiene is the practice of keeping the mouth and teeth clean to prevent dental complications, most commonly, dental cavities, gingivitis (gum disease), and bad breath. In cases where certain oral pathologic conditions such as gingivitis, periodontitis, dental trauma, oral cysts etc. exists, a good oral hygiene is very essential for quick healing and regeneration of the affected oral tissues. Most dental hygiene procedures are commonly referred to as teeth cleaning, scaling, plaque removal, tartar or calculus removal, debridement, flossing, teeth polishing, oral irrigation, fluoride treatment, etc.
Plaque is a yellow sticky, film-like substance that is constantly forming on your teeth, both above and beneath your gums. The bacteria in the plaque feeds on sugars in foods, forms acids which attack tooth enamel and cause cavities. Such bacteria also produce toxins which can irritate the gums and lead to periodontal (gum) disease. Daily brushing and flossing can help avoid plaque build-up.
Plaque left on the teeth combined with minerals in your saliva calcify and form a rough, hard deposit called tartar or calculus. As tartar builds, plaque bacteria cling to it, allowing a ripe breeding ground for the bacteria to thrive in. Tartar cannot be removed by brushing and flossing once it has formed and can only be removed by your dentist or hygienist. The cleaner you keep your mouth with daily brushing and flossing, and the more regularly you visit your dentists for regular preventive care, the less tartar you will build and the less likely you will have oral diseases.
Teeth cleaning or scaling is the removal of dental plaque and tartar from teeth. Oral irrigation is a way to clean teeth and gums using pressured and directed stream of Chlorhexidine solution to disrupt plaque and bacteria from 3–4 mm under the gum line. Patients with deeper pockets may need periodontal therapy as scaling may not be very effective in treating their condition.
What we do
Bristol Dental Clinic provides a wide range of dental hygiene services to help you to get clean and healthy teeth. Our dental hygiene services are scientifically designed for every patient based on their oral condition. Though unique for every patient, it could vary from routine dental check ups and cleanings to treating oral diseases, guidance on managing daily teeth hygiene and lot more. We have a team of qualified and experienced dental hygienists in Mississauga, supervised by dentists to perform oral hygiene treatment. Based on your oral condition, our family dentists would recommend the frequency of your teeth to be cleaned professionally at regular intervals, for example 3-4 times year.
During your dental hygiene appointment at Bristol Dental Clinic, the dental hygienist will:
- Have prepared for your appointment
- Sterilized your room and instruments to ensure your safety
- Review your chart and current medical status with you as there are many medical conditions and medications that influence dental hygiene treatment
- Examine your head and neck for abnormalities
- Examine your tongue, gums, teeth and all other areas of your mouth
- Measure the attachment of the gums to your teeth (probing)
- Record all findings on your chart
- Take prescribed radio graphs (x-rays) and get the dentist to interpret them
- Scale your teeth using hand, mechanical or ultrasonic instruments removing hard and soft deposits (plaque and tartar)
- Polish your teeth, if needed, to remove stains
- If needed, apply fluoride to strengthen teeth, apply agents to desensitize teeth, apply pit and fissure sealants to seal grooves for decay prevention
- Provides dental hygiene instructions
- Works with the dentist to customize an oral care program for you – you will be informed on, and given advice about matters related to your oral health including nutrition, smoking cessation and plaque control and the use of various oral care products, their purpose and effective use.
For more information, please click on Patient Resources.