May 15, 2018/ bristoldental/ 0
If your unfortunate to have a broken tooth Mississauga dentist can help repair it by using one of five procedures.
Which procedure; will depend on how the tooth is broken and which tooth it is.
The procedures used are:
- Bonding uses resin to fill in and shape the tooth where it is broken
- Veneers are used to cover fractures
- Crowns or caps will cover the break and strengthen the tooth
- A root canal will help save the tooth, often a root canal will also have a crown placed on it to help strengthen the tooth
- Dental implant when the tooth is broken beyond repair the tooth will be extracted and an implant put in the covered by a crown or cap
Types of breaks in teeth
Even though people say they have a broken tooth it does not necessarily mean it is broken in two or a piece is missing.
Six types of breaks in teeth;
- Chipped a small piece has fallen off
- Crazed cracks in the tooth’s enamel
- Cracked a deep crack that stretches down to the nerve of the tooth
- Cusp break a break, chip, or crack on the biting surface of the tooth
- Split leaves the tooth in two pieces
- Broken a large piece has fallen or broken off and the tooth is bleeding and painful
How to deal with a broken tooth
Here are some tips to take care of a broken tooth until you can see your Mississauga dentist ;
- If there are sharp edges, place some paraffin wax over it
- If it is bleeding use a cold compress and apply gentle pressure after gently rinsing your mouth with cool water
- If it has been broken off; rinse your mouth gently with an antiseptic mouth rinse